Jens-Erik Skaaning

Jens-Erik Skaaning
My name is Erik Skaaning, and I'm lucky enough to live in the greatest place on Earth! British Columbia. Bowhunting and Flyfishing are my life. As a professional guide since 1995,I've been helping others from around the world, realize their dreams. I hope you enjoy following along on some of my adventures below.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Dry fly Steelhead fishing

Spent the last week in what I consider to be one of the greatest places to fish wild steelhead on the fly. My LONG time fly fishing, bowhunting, waterfowling, friend Brad Siemens and I had previously guided on the Babine river. After almost ten years since we moved on to bigger and better things (Family and real jobs lol!) we decided it was time to go back and spend a little time fishing for ourselves. We brought along a first time Babine steelheader named Ryan, but also known as "young buck" to help show us what was lurking in the depths. Your chances of seeing a wild steelhead over 20 pounds on the fly on the Babine river, is better than anywhere in the world! My goal was to fish dry flies the entire week if the conditions permited. The chances of hooking one of those 20+ pound hawgs drops considerably when fishing dries but I have done it in the past, so why not? Upon arrival, we found the best possble dry fly conditions you could ask for! So we set up camp and got to it. I stuck to my guns and fished a dry the entire week other than one run, that didn't look to conducive to the dry on the third day. It didn't yield the big 20 pound buck i had hoped but I did land a nice little hen on an       ''Electrik Leech''. The sun was an issue with the water being soooo clear, and first and last light were the time to be waking bugs. The rest of the day was finding any run you could with shade on it. In the end my slowest day (if you can call it that? LOL) was rising 1 fish to the dry, and my best was raising 9! The highlights of the trip were spending time with Brad and especially watching him hook and land a nice buck on his favorite run while ''grease lining'' his favorite wet fly the ''Superfly"! We had some great meals cooked on an open fire, with stunning night skies. I haven't received any of Brad or Ryan's pics of our adventure yet but will share some of what I took, enjoy ;)



Our home base for the week



Ate loads of great food, like bighorn sheep steaks, chicken, mountain goat burgers, and bacon and eggs!

Oh, and farm fresh eggs from Brad's place!



A monster hen on the dry!

couple pics of Brad's favorite run named ''Callaghan's''



Brad's buck on his ''Superfly"
This kind of water screams waking flies!!
''Waked'' flies produced fish like this on average all week!


Brad lands a nice little hen for me, the only fish I took on a wet fly, an "Electrik" Leech of course!


Brad with a real nice buck landed on the last evening on his "foamback" pattern

We were sooooo lucky with the weather!


No comments:

Post a Comment